NAES Corporation Merchant Plant Operator - Hartford, CT in Hartford, Connecticut
PurEnergy LLC, a subsidiary of NAES Corporation, has an immediate opening for an experienced Merchant Plant Operator at the Capitol District Energy Center Cogeneration Associates (CDECCA) plant. CDECCA is a dual-fueled 65MW combined cycle cogeneration plant located in Hartford, CT. The physical configuration is 1 Dual-Fuel GE Frame 6B Gas Turbine and 1 GE Steam Turbine (33 MW).
The plant was built as a Qualifying Facility and now operates as a peaking electrical generation plant with steam and chilled water off-take agreements to AETNA Life Insurance Company (“AETNA”) and Energy Networks Incorporated (“ENI”).
TO APPLY: Please send your resume to HR@purenergyllc.com
The person holding this position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all power plant equipment. The Merchant Plant Operator controls, monitors, starts, stops, regulates, and evaluates boilers, turbine generators, and auxiliary equipment, and performs routine maintenance under the general supervision of the Plant Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Starting, stopping, regulating, monitoring and controlling boilers, turbine-generator and all auxiliary equipment, normally through the DCS.
- Directs all plant activities via the control room, including operations and maintenance.
- Monitors and adjusts related set points locally and on the DCS within prescribed administrative and manufacture guidelines to optimize plant performance and reliability.
- Observes, records, and interprets indications from equipment readings outside of the control room. Calculates, evaluates, and reports findings.
- Performs functional testing of plant systems and components. Interprets acceptability of data in comparison with established standards or sound power plant practices. Determines the need for and performs routine operational tests and adjustments on all power plant systems and components as required.
- Assists in the investigation of plant problems, incidents, accidents, and unusual events, and provide analyses, recommendations, reports, and appropriate follow-up plans.
- Checks daily consumption rates of chemicals, fuels, and water, monitors inventories and initiates action to replenish same.
- Operates plant equipment (truck, fork lifts, high lift etc)
- Performs, monitors and records water analysis on boilers, cooling tower and demin system. Makes necessary adjustments to maintain steam and water quality.
- Performs regenerations; neutralize effluent water to the sewer.
- Performs switching and tagging and housekeeping duties as required.
- Conducts routine preventive and predictive maintenance on all systems and equipment; supports corrective maintenance efforts on selected equipment when properly trained or supervised.
- Presents on-the-job training to new operators.
- Uses computerized programs such as LOTO, e-mail, and spread sheet applications on a daily basis
- Maintains logs, records, and data sheets; prepares reports, trends, time sheets, material requisitions, work orders, and other administrative documents related to the business of power and steam production. Writes, reviews, and revises operating and related procedures.
- Provides advice and counsel to the plant manager, other merchant plant operators and maintenance personnel regarding technical and administrative conduct. Communicates with and represents the Company in its relations and communications with the public, steam and power customers, vendors, contractors, regulators, and other non-company personnel.
Ability to work at heights and on ladders amid constant noise and vibration
Ability to work both indoors and outdoors in high noise and/or hot and cold temperature extremes
Ability to work in proximity to high voltage and/or rapidly rotating equipment and in cramped and/or confined conditions requiring overall flexibility, manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination, with occasional heavy lifting
Ability to work occasionally with toxic chemicals including, but not limited to, solvents, acids, and caustics
Ability to work rotating shifts and overtime
Sufficient physical strength to operate manual valves and sufficient physical endurance for repetitive motions, such as manual valve operation, operating heavy pneumatic wrenches, and barrel moving
Ability to wear a respirator
Ability to work in confined spaces
Ability to continuously man the control room and make plant rounds when needed.
Required Job-Related Qualifications
- High School or vocational school diploma, plus five years’ experience in a power plant/control room environment, or equivalent education and experience. Ability to read, write and comprehend technical information is essential.
- Knowledge of power plant equipment such as motors, pumps, boilers, turbines, generators, fluid systems, chemical handling, water treatment systems, cooling towers, pollution control equipment (i.e. dust suppression, bag house, scrubber, selective catalytic reduction unit), AC and DC electrical distribution and control systems, etc.
- Basic understanding of fundamental principles of physics, mathematics, AC and DC electrical theory, heat transfer and fluid flow, thermodynamics, chemistry, and metallurgy.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings such as P&IDs;, single line diagrams, schematics, and logics.
- Knowledge of power plant safety, especially in areas such as chemical handling, high energy systems, confined spaces, incipient fire suppression, first aid, rotating machinery, heavy equipment operations, etc.
- Ability to operate valves, switches, controls, keyboards, and other devices associated with power plant equipment as well as basic hand tools, portable electric and pneumatic tools, rigging equipment and other implements.
- Excellent oral and written communication and supervisory skills
- EPA Universal Refrigerant Handling certificate a plus
TO APPLY: Please send your resume to HR@purenergyllc.com
It is the practice of NAES and its subsidiaries to seek employees of the highest quality and to select the individuals on the basis of merit and competence, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, military status or affiliation protected under USERRA, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by applicable local, state and federal law.
Requisition Number: 18-0104
Post Date: 4/17/2018
Title: Merchant Plant Operator - Hartford, CT
Location: PurEnergy LLC